“Now you are the body of Christ, member for member. And God indeed has placed some in the Church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers; after that miracles, then gifts of healing, services of help, power of administration, and the speaking of various tongues.”

Corinthians, Chapter 23, Verse 27 & 28


St. George Church Time Line

1639– Town of Guilford settled

1850– Masses held at the Henry Whitfield house

1854 – First Adorable Sacrifice of Mass takes place

1860– Fire at the Whitfield house

1860-Catholic Chapel purchased

1862-Chapel enlarged

1876-Cornerstone for Catholic Church was laid

1878-Catholic Church dedicated as St. George

1885-Land purchased for Catholic cemetery

1887-The Rev. John Dolan, first resident pastor for Guilford

1887-St. George officially becomes a parish

1888-The Rev. John Dolan dies

1888-First baptism takes place

1888-First marriage ceremony take place

1913-Church gets running water and electricity

1926-50th anniversary of laying the cornerstone

1934-Father Fogarty dies while in office

1938-St. George damaged in hurricane


1939-Parish Hall built

1940-Repairs to the church begin

1942-Church is rededicated

1947-Bus service for North Guilford parishioners established

1952-St. George celebrates 100 years

1957-Page-Bonzano property acquired for new church

1959-St. George Altar Society formed

1962-Ground breaking ceremony for new church

1963-New St. George Parish Church is dedicated

1963-St. George Church becomes the only Catholic Church to sit on a town green in Connecticut

1964-Old church sold to the St. Albans Lodge, AF&AM

1967-Father Sullivan retires

1975-Catholic cemetery closes

1976-Parish garage converted into religious education center and parish library

1976-Parish recognizes first woman commissioned as Eucharist priests

1976-100th anniversary of the first St. George Church

1976-Masonic Temple gives church original cornerstone

1979-Two men ordained as permanent deacons

1979-Burning of the mortgage takes place – church free from debt

1980-St. George adopts orphanage in Delat, Vietnam

1982-Land purchased for a second church

1983-New parish center dedicated as the Father Sullivan Center

1983-Aldrich property acquired for enlarging cemetery

1986-Stained glass window from old church discovered and returned to St. George

1993-Father Coleman and Father McHugh assigned to St. George

1995– Father Coleman named Monsignor

1998-Fire destroys church roof

1998-St. George repaired and dedication ceremony takes place

The cornerstone from the 1878 church at 161-165 Whitfield Street.
Photo courtesy of T.M. Jacobs
The stained glass window removed from the old St. George Church after 113 years. Currently hangs in the Father Sullivan Center. Photo  courtesy of T.M. Jacobs




The 1876 tabernacle from the old St. George Church.
Photo courtesy of The Catholic Transcript
Firemen battling the roof fire of June 1998.
Photo courtesy of Joel Helander
Smoke engulfs the roof and steeple.
Photo courtesy of Joel Helander.
Damage sustained from the June 1998 fire of St. George Church.
Photo courtesy of T.M. Jacobs